Thursday, January 27, 2011

Not only a Quilt Queen!

Quilted Cora here on a very snowy day on the East Coast!!  My peeps were out several times yesterday shoveling the snow and went out again today!  Good snow-man/snow-ball making stuff!  But enough about the weather - on to me!


Trish with me at Joann's
 I went to a Joann Fabric store the other night to assist my Peep teach knitting - yes, I said knitting!!  My talent is not limited to just quilting, I am a world class knitter (OK, I can do the k,p,* repeat)!  Not only did I teach a few women to knit, but Trish Lee - the multi-talented and over-worked education coordinator at the store in Leesburg, VA - stopped by to check things out and have her picture taken with yours truely!  I teach (with my Peep) Knitting 101 and seed stitch block, all you out there in the blog-a-sphere who don't know how to knit don't know what you are missing.


In addition to knitting, I have been doing a royal tour of several local museums, and I'd like to share the following pictures with you.  The pictures were taken at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History at a tempory exhibit called "The Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef".  What is a Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef?  I'm glad you asked - actually, if you want REALLY know the math behind the coral, email Trish (see her above) at learnwithtrish@gmail.com and Trish will fill you in!!  The short version is that to create a 3-D verison of the hyperbolic geometry principal a really smart women figured out that it could be expressed by crocheting a coral-like figure!  The Institute For Figuring created the exhibit and it is really cool!!
  


I appear in several pictures nestled amoung the crocheted coral  - you however, are not allowed to get so close (my Peep knows museum peeps) - and it was really a interesting experience.  My favorite as the white coral - go to the Smithsonian's website and type in Hyperbolic Coral Reef and you will see some more pictures!
That is it for now - stay warm!!  Quilted Cora out!

1 comment: